i seriously can’t believe it’s already december! i feel like i was just wearing shorts and getting blasted by a heat wave each time i walked out the front door! but this time of year is so cozy and cheerful and wonderful. sparkling lights line store fronts and homes, joyful music takes over radio stations, people seem to smile more and offer greetings to complete strangers, and if we’re lucky, we sometimes wake up to a blanket of fresh snow covering the world.
my ideal night is curling up on the couch with hubby, a fire crackling in the background and wine in our hands. our puppies especially love these nights as they assume their typical positions (mya on the rug and riley on the couch) and often cuddle with their new christmas toys. it truly is the most wonderful time of the year.
as i reflect on my novemeber goals and the hustle and bustle of the holiday season approaches, i need to constantly remind myself to slow down and enjoy the simple yet most important things. quality time with family and friends and maintaining a healthy lifestyle (with some cookies along the way). so, with that in mind, here are my goals for december, followed by my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.
things i wanted to do in november:
- clean up the yard for winter: done!
- visit my brother in connecticut: unfortunately this did not happen 😦
- read 2 books: done! harry potter and the sorcerers stone & sharp objects
- try a new restaurant: done! the cottage in wellsley. perfect spot for girls brunch
- blog a food related post each monday: done! (here, here, here & here)
- host a dinner party: this did not happen either
- get to bed and wake up earlier: this will always be a work in progress. some nights i went to bed earlier, others not so much!
- decorate our house for christmas: done! each room is sparkling and magical!
- drink more water: another constant project.. some days i did well, other days i’m lucky if i drank 8oz of water
things i want to do in december:
- read 2 books
- help someone in need
- host a cookie swap party
- get to bed and wake up earlier
- drink more water
- go on all 10 of my holiday date ideas (post coming soon)
- make more time to spend with family and friends
- prepare for parkway & elm’s first wedding expo in january
now, lets get into some important stuff.. like cookies. they are very important and should be considered a major food group, in my book. cookies are my most favorite dessert.. and, as you can imagine, i’ve eaten quite a few in my 29 years.. but there is just something about a good ol’ chocolate chip cookie that can’t be beat. below is the recipe i use when making them.. a combination of toll house and a few other random places i’ve found along the way. they are SO. GOOD.
(the best) Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter (slightly cooler than room temperature)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- chocolate chips (semi sweet, white chocolate, milk chocolate), nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream butter and sugars together until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla to sugar mixture until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda.
- Slowly add dry mixture to sugar mixture until well combined.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts (pecans are a great addition).. I always use 1 bag of Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips and 1/2 bag of Ghirardelli white chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes or until the edges become golden brown.
- Eat.. preferable with a cold glass of milk! (I hear that’s how Santa enjoys his cookies).
Happy Baking and Happy Monday!
Great goals! And I can’t wait to make those cookies!
Thank you! You’re going to love them! ❤️
LikeLiked by 1 person