christmas time and cookies. the most perfect combination! i’m not sure i can think of a better way to spend an evening than sitting in front of a warm fire, surrounded by sparkling christmas lights and eating warm cookies. it is the best.
next weekend i am hosting a christmas cookie swap and i’ve been searching for the perfect cookie to make. of course, i’ve spent a lot of my searching time on half baked harvest because her recipes are my favorite and i found this slice and bake chocolate covered peanut butter cookie recipe that looked amazing. who doesn’t love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter? if you raised your hand, we can’t be friends..
so, i trialed the recipe. the cookies were delicious but mine, of course, did not look as pretty as half baked harvest and so decided not to make them for the party (because i’m hosting and want my cookies to look extra pretty!). but, it is definitely a recipe worth sharing and recreating in the future. also, they are ‘slice and bake’ which means they are perfect for storing in the freezer up to 3 months or making cookie dough logs to give as christmas presents!
Slice ‘n Bake Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Cookies (Recipe by: Half Baked Harvest)
- 1 stick salted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup then 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons cold water, if dough seems dry
- 16 ounces milk chocolate (I used Ghirardelli mild chocolate chips), melted
- Cream together butter, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add 3/4 cup peanut butter and mix until combined.
- Add flour and salt to above mixture and beat until well combined. If dough seems dry and crumbly, add small amounts of water until it just sticks together (should not be overly sticky).
- Divide dough in half and place each ball on a piece of plastic wrap. Using your hands, shape dough into rectangle or circle about 2 inches wide. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F and line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/3 inch slices. Arrange on cookie sheet (they grow a very small amount while baking so you can place them close together).
- Bake 10-12 minuts until edges are golden brown. Allow cookies to completely cool.
- Spread each cookie with layer of peanut butter and place back on cookie sheet and into freezer for another 30 minutes (makes it easier to cover with chocolate).
- Melt chocolate and dip each cookie in. Half Baked Harvest somehow managed to cover her cookies completely in chocolate without making them look ugly (I was not able to do this). Instead, I dipped only the peanut butter covered top in chocolate and sprinkled each with different colored sugars.
- Place chocolate covered cookies back on parchment paper and into freezer for another 30 minutes to set.
- Finally.. after all those steps.. ENJOY!
now, i’m still on the hunt for the perfect cookie recipe to make for this weekend.. i’d love if you shared your favorites! xo